Monday, July 14, 2008

We LOVE Woody the Kentucky Wiener!!!!!




Last Thursday we went to see one of our favorite writers. Her name is Leigh Anne Florence, she is the author of the Woody the Kentucky Wiener books.

I met Leigh Anne early in 2004. Anthony met her a few months before, he had only been with us about 3 months at that time. He was 7 then and angry. He didn't talk to me very much, but one day he came home telling me about this dog that came to his school. He just kept talking about the dog and telling me the story. He talked more to me in those 3 or 4 days than he did the 3 months he had lived with us. I thought she must have made a big impression on him. And when I read in the newspaper that she was going to be at Joseph Beth Bookstore I knew I had to take him. When we got there I was surprised to see the title of the book, "Woody the Kentucky Wiener...The Adoption."!!!! Leigh Anne talked to everyone then read the book. At one point the book talks about the mom wanting to find a dog who needed a home. Anthony turns to me and says "we needed a home." Another parts says the puppy was small and tan and black. Anthonys says, "I am small and tan." And the end of it says "now you are part of our family." And Anthony says, "just like us."

At the end of the story Leigh Anne always asks the audience who they think is the most happy. Everyone always says "Woody." But I told Anthony I thought it was the Mommy. Then Leigh Anne tells everyone that its the Mommy and the sister already there who are the happiest :) Then they turned on the song "Who Let the Dogs Out", and Leigh Anne's husband Ron bring out the dogs. Anthony was captivated and quite honestly so was I!!! After this book signing Anthony was different. He talked to me and he wasn't angry anymore. That was 4 years ago and we now try to go see her every summer. She has a special place in my heart and all my boys love her.

If you go to her web site you can see Anthony getting his booked signed on that glorious day in Feb. 2004.

http://www.thewoodybooks.com/

Click on pictures then scroll down until you see 'more feb. 2004'

He is in the one with her sitting at the desk signing his book. You have to click on it because you can't see him in the thumbnail.

1 comment:

Renee said...

That is an awesome story!