Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Canaveral National Seashore....















































































This is my third post tonight, I am trying to catch up. I wouldn't even be doing the blogging this trip except that Jacob asked me too. He said things were awesome today and he was pretty much right. So tonight I am blogging for Jake. And it has been kind of theraputic for me. My dad was all about the outdoors and I had kind of forgotten that.

We found the right enterance today for Canaveral National Seashore. The boys worked on getting Junior Ranger badges. We saw the Turtle Mound which turned out to be about a 40 foot high mountain of discarded oyster shells from the Native Americans who use to live here. It is huge, at the top we were higher than the trees!!

The boys picked up trash along some of the banks of the inlet and found lots of treasures. Jacob found a horseshoe crab shell that the crab had outgrown. Michael found lots of shells with barnacles on them to take home. Some to trade at the Cincinnati Museum Center and some to keep. Anthony found some wierd trash to pick up, it included a timing belt from a car!

We left the park and had lunch at a seafood place on a lagoon. We ate outside and while we were waiting for our food I took the boys for a walk on the dock. Boy am I glad we ate outside, because we would not have gotten to see the dolphin in we hadn't. It was so amazing, I had never seenone in real life. It swam right in front of were we were standing and turned over under the water. We all tried aligator and everyone except me tried steamed clams. No one really liked them but Jake and Michael thought they were great toys.

After lunch we headed back to the park to get the boys J. R. badges. On the trail there we saw an armadillo!! It was so cool, their heads are very small compared to the rest of their bodies.

Then before we left we stopped by the beach at the park. While there Anthony remembered that we had been there before with my dad. We didn't put on swim suits and I told the boys not to get wet but we were at the ocean with very nice waves today.

No comments: