Thursday, September 2, 2010

Rocks, surf and lobsters.......












Beaver Pond.






















Thunder Hole.


Watching Thunder Hole

















Looking in a tidal pool.





Cooking Lobsters







Playing at Sand Beach while waiting for the ranger program to start.







_____________________________________________________________________


It has been a long day!!! Long but wonderful :) We got up this morning and all had french toast with maple syrup. They we drove to Acadia National Park visitors center and got Junior Ranger books and an audio driving tour cd. After that we started on our tour of the park. Most of what we had seen of Maine looked quite a bit like Kentucky, but the coast is breath taking. We followed the driving tour for a long time, stopping at all the lookouts and special things. Our plan was to have lunch at Jordan Pond but as it always does time just got away from us. We climbed rocks looking for tide pools. Jacob and Michael were exploring one and Jake fell in. Anthony was really having a good time climbing all over the rocks but was a little to careless and I had to get on to him several times. I know they think I am ruining the fun but its my job to keep them safe. Some of these rock were way high up! I even climbed a lot of rocks myself. I think I am going to be really sad to leave here.

We also saw Thunder Hole which was loud and awesome. We got to see a damn built by beavers. We did so much walking a climbing that we were all very hungry and it was way past lunch. We decided to try a lobster pound. I am not a seafood fan but I told David I would at least try it. We got two and shared. The boys ate it up but I didn't really care for it so I ate corn and rolls.

At dusk we drove down to one of the few sand beaches on the island for a Ranger talk about stars. We got there a little early and the boys played in the surf. It is starting to get a little rough with the hurricane coming but that made it all the more fun for the boys. The water was very cold and I only waded in up to my knees. But the boys we out there jumping around in it. It knocked them all down several times.

The ranger came when it got dark and did a really cool presentation with awesome laser pointers. They looked like they went right out to the stars!!!! And oh the stars!! I had no idea the night sky could look like that!! We see stars at home but nothing compared to this. We could even see part of the Milky Way. It was amazing....David really enjoyed this.

No we are all tired....and I am blogging so I won't forget what we did today. I took tons of pictures but they will have to wait for another day.

No comments: