Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Grandma

Juanita Mae Ball Wilson


This post is about my beautiful Grandmother who passed away this morning. I remember she use to call me "her namesake." Once when I was around 8 years old she came to visit and had her birthday while she was there. I remember there being a cake with a huge icing flower on it. I don't remember where we were but it wasn't at our house. I remember all the kids wanting the icing flower and the adult who was cutting it said it should go to the birthday person. She put it on a napkin and gave it to my grandma. On the way home, my grandma handed me the flower and said, 'for my namesake.' She always made me feel special and loved. I use to visit her and the rest of my family in Florida and we would have long great conversations about her life and how much she loved her family.


I remember being a young adult and finding out that she was a firecracker!!! She wasn't a stodgy uptight person, she was cool! She took my new husband into her heart and they formed a mutual respect and love for each other. I flew down with an 8 month old baby when my aunt Lynda had her twins. Grandma said, "Your mom keeps going on about how special Jacob is. Everyone thinks their grandchildren are special...but he really is!!"

I had the chance to visit Grandma over Thanksgiving last year. The visit was wonderful. We spent time talking and looking through pictures. We even got her to go out to lunch with us twice while we were there. She had never been to Chick-Fil-A!! I will cherish that time I got to spend with her. I love you Grandma, you will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Juanita,
I think this blog post is an excellent tribute to your Grandma Juanita ;-)
I am certain that she would be very proud that you remember the flower moment, and that you choose to share it with us.
Many, many hugs to you today my friend!
Love, Chris J.