Monday, January 18, 2010

Another visit to the Humane Society.......







Yesterday afternoon we all went to the Lexington Humane Society. David I think still wasn't very sure about wanting another dog. But we got there and saw Diesel almost immediately. We were walking along reading the cards and I just kept walking past Diesel. He was just sitting in his cage being very quiet. David stopped to look at him so I stopped and walked back too. I looked at him a little more then we kept on walking. Then I said "he is a pretty dog." David said "he is the best dog I have seen here." I turned back to look at him and he hung his head and looked so sad. So back I go and pet him through the cage. He is still calm but puts the side of his head against the cage so I can scratch him. I ask David if he wants to get him out and take him to the visiting room. He says yes but points to the other note on the cage. It says please ask for assistance because I am stronger than I look. So I go find someone who works there and she gets a leash. His demeanor changes immediately when she opens his cage!! He practically pulls her into the sitting room. I think OMG this is not the dog we want. But he does calm down for us and listens to what we say. He already know sit and they say he has been obedience trained. We took him outside and I walked him first. He pulled some but I kept him beside me and he did pretty good. Then David wanted Anthony to walk him. He did what I did and the dog listened and didn't pull very much at all for him. He did the same with David. So he is a quick learner. Apparently he likes to chase cats so if we get him we would probably have to kennel him when we go on vacations. Our dog sitter has 3 dogs and a couple of cats I think so that might not work out.





After the shorts walks around the pen we take him back inside to the sitting room. He sits very nicely for me although he gave me several indications that he wanted to play. We I took him back to his kennel (I decided to do it because I handled him better than the lady who works there) he grabbed the leash and wanted to play tug. I couldn't get it out of his mouth. David had to come do it. They say he is three years old but he still acts a little bit like a puppy. And the picture they have on the web site really doesn't look like him to me. He is shepherd mixed with something else. Not sure what though. The cool thing is I think David is excited about this dog.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

He seems sweet. Anthony or any of the boys really could take him to dog club. They learn basic obedience very well and then move on to agility. They attend several dog shows throughout the year and either watch or compete. Some kids are learning to judge dogs, some do a dog quiz bowl. Embree likes the part working with Vegas, but we don't get to attend dog shows because they are all while we are at the farm for the summer. Good luck deciding!!