Sunday, September 2, 2012

Today we walked on lava beds in Idaho!!!

 
I didn't blog yesterday because we really didn't do anything except drive.  And it wasn't a very long drive.  We had time to just relax a bit.  We went to Dairy Queen for ice cream then Jacob and Michael went swimming.  It would have been nice if the hotel had a laundry room but they didn't so I got to relax a bit too :) 
 
Today we drove to Craters of the Moon National Monument.  The boys got the Junior Ranger books and we hung out at the visitors center while they worked on them.  We were afraid the visitor center would close before we could get back if we went into the park so we got the badges before we actually saw the park.  This place was used by NASA to train some of the astronauts who went to the moon.  If you take away all the trees and shrubs it would look a lot like the moon!!  There we lots of twisted, gnarly trees....that made me happy.  But the light was against me, and it was a little bit hazy.   I am not very happy with my pictures.  I am posting them anyway because we most likely will never be there again.  






 Dwarf Buckwheat
 
 In the Devils Garden
 

 If you look close at the branches on the tree you can see an example of "Witches Broom."  It is caused by Dwarf Mistletoe. 


 Going down into one of the "caves"....or lava tubes.
 
 Michael climbing up out of the 'cave'

No comments: