Wednesday, September 5, 2012

 Four years ago today I saw my first glimpse of Yellowstone.  It was my birthday and I couldn't imagine spending it in a better place!!!  I feel very lucky to get to spend another birthday here in this magical place.  There really is no other place like it anywhere.  We had another long day of pure beauty.  We drove around the lower loop today.  Stopped at the Canyon Visitor center, it is a great learning place.  Then we went to the Canyon Dinner for lunch, the setting is interesting.  There are long U shaped counters where the server can walk down the middle to take care of everyone. 
 
After lunch we headed down towards the mud volcano and Dragons Mouth.  On the way we saw lots of buffalo.  The smell at Dragons Mouth is stinky to say the least!!  But it is very cool so everyone tries to ignore the smell.  %
 
Then we were on our way to "The Fishing Bridge" visitor center.  There we went to a ranger program about river otters.  I love otters but the ranger told us that there is only a 10% chance of seeing one.  That visitor center is right on Lake Yellowstone so we spent a little time there just enjoying the view.
 
I wanted to eat in the Old Faithful area for my birthday dinner.  On the way there we saw a pond with tons of lilly pads!  It was right on the Continental Divide.  When we got to the Old Faithful Inn we saw that reservations were encouraged to eat at the Inn.  We were early though and in the front part of the line so we waited and they got us in :)  I had the best roasted red pepper with Gouda soup!!!  The waiter heard David ask me if I wanted cake for my birthday.  I told him no, I had eaten to much already!!!  In less than two minutes the waiter was back with huckleberry ice cream with a candle!!  It was very good!!  But I was so full, the little boys didn't mind helping me to eat it.  To end our day we saw a few dear grazing in a field.  Another excellent day in my happy place!!!!
 
 
 
 
 





















No comments: