Thursday, March 10, 2011

Leaving San Francisco and headed for Yosemite 3-6-11

We got up this morning and headed out of San Francisco. It started raining last night and was still raining this morning. It was quite foggy, but it was cool to see the Golden Gate Bridge in the fog. We drove by Lombard Street on the way out of town so I could take pictures. They weren't great but at least I got to take them. Then we went across the bridge and out of the city.

We drove about 30 minutes to Muir Woods. It was still raining but we made the best of it and tromped through the park. The boys worked on the Junior Ranger books and learned about the trees. The most interesting thing to me was the 'family circles." This happens when a single tree is badly damages but the roots are still alive and start growing new trees all around it. The original tree most of the time can still be seen in the middle of the circle. The badges the boys got from Muir Woods were made from the stumps of the 'fallen' redwood trees.

I drove from Muir Woods to our hotel right outside of Yosemite. The road was small and twisty. Driving through Oakland wasn't fun either! I was just glad it was a Sunday afternoon and not a weekday at rush our. We are at the hotel but we can't get cell signal and the hotel doesn't have internet. So, I am going to get my blogs ready and saved each day to post when we get somewhere with internet. We will be here 4 nights then headed for Sequoia. Not sure when this will get posted.

Lombard Street. I need to be at a higher angle to get a better picture but I took this while we drove by at the bottom.
The streets in Frisco are INSANE!!!!




Fog on the GGB.




















Standing with John Muir.

No comments: